“Fratelli Salis” (the Salis brothers), so-called on the label and on antique shipping documents, were among the first wine makers to bottle wine in the entire Kingdom of Italy.
Bottles dating back to 1881 and 1890 have been found In the family wine cellar, saved and carried along during the family’s many changes of residence. Among the various certificates of distinction received over the years, the most important refers to “Tirano bottled wine of 1869”. At that time, only a few makers of Barolo and Marsala were putting their wine into bottles.
Salis wine production, beyond satisfying the needs of the immediate family, also aimed to create high-quality wines which would best show off the distinctive characteristics of the local vintages. These wines were intended to be sent to other Swiss and European noble families with whom the Salis family maintained diplomatic ties.